Known affectionately as the Blairbeg Hall, Glenurquhart Public Hall is a fine Edwardian building which has been at the heart of the Loch Ness-side community of Drumnadrochit, Lewiston and Glenurquhart for over a century.
New York financier and industrialist Bradley Martin (1841-1913) rented the Balmacaan House and its estate from the Earl of Seafield for many years from the 1880s onwards. He and his wife Cornelia (1845-1920) loved to entertain and guests came from far and wide to enjoy their hospitality. They were considerate employers to the many local folk who worked on the estate.
After their daughter-in-law’s parents donated the Phipps Institute to Beauly, the Bradley Martins decided to follow suit and build a hall in Drumnadrochit. The Hall has been used by the surrounding community ever since, and it’s hard to imagine life in the Glen without it.